New OHS Regulations in Victoria
New OHS Regulations 2017
The new Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017 (OHS Regulations) and Equipment (Public Safety) Regulations 2017 (EPS Regulations) will commence on 18 June 2017. You can access the new OHS Regulations 2017 [PDF, 2.20MB] and EPS Regulations 2017 [PDF, 276kB] online and printed copies are available to purchase from SAI Global.
Information about the new OHS and EPS Regulations 2017 will be presented at the the 2017 WorkSafe Victoria Breakfast Series, being held in regional centres throughout Victoria. Find out more about event details and registration.
OHS Regulations changes
The new OHS Regulations 2017 are mainly the same. However, if you are in a workplace where asbestos is present; are a manufacturer or an importing supplier of hazardous substances or agricultural and veterinary chemicals; work in construction; or operate a mine or major hazard facility, you need to become aware of the changes. In most cases, compliance is required by 18 June 2017.
Most importantly, the new OHS Regulations 2017 maintain Victoria's already high safety standards. In some high risk areas, like asbestos removal work, they improve standards. The changes also deliver significant savings to Victorian businesses in the areas of high risk work licensing and record keeping for designers and manufacturers of plant.
For some changes, transitional arrangements apply to allow duty and licence holders time to become compliant with the updated regulatory requirements.
If you are affected by the changes, WorkSafe has prepared a range of information and support resources to help you identify what to do to stay compliant when the changes take effect on 18 June 2017, available through the links below.
The Regulations have been renumbered with consecutive numbers, in line with the Office of the Chief Parliamentary Counsel's guidance on the preparation of statutory rules. Reconciliation tables are available through the links below to help you quickly compare the numbering between the 2007 Regulations and the 2017 Regulations.
A range of information and support resources for the new OHS and EPS Regulations 2017 are available on the Work Safe Victoria website www.worksafe.vic.gov.au
For further information contact the WorkSafe Victoria Advisory Service on 1800 136 089 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Guide to the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations [PDF, 820 kB]
- Guide to the Equipment (Public Safety) Regulations [PDF, 254 kB]
- Summary of changes – Occupational Health and Safety Regulations [PDF, 240 kB]
- Summary of changes – Equipment (Public Safety) Regulations [PDF, 333 kB]
- Reconciliation Table – Occupational Health and Safety Regulations [PDF, 758 kB]
- Reconciliation Table – Equipment (Public Safety) Regulations [PDF, 374 kB]
- FAQs – OHS and EPS Regulations 2017 [PDF, 212 kB]
- Fees – OHS and EPS Regulations 2017 [PDF, 86 kB]
- Proposed Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017 and Equipment (Public Safety) Regulations 2017 - Response to public comment [PDF, 538 kB ]