Incorporated in 1948 FIAA origins can be traced back to the early 1900’s.
Past Presidents of the FIAA include Jack Parker, Doug Jackson, John Chiswell, Ern McCain, Peter J Van Treight, David Hoare and more recently Ron Scott and Fred White. True icons of the industry.
In the 60's and 70's FIAA notably accomplished:
- Drafted the Furnishing Trades Award with the Industry Committee
- Got the removal of ‘limitation’ on furniture factory overtime by the Minister for Labor and Industry
- Lobbied for plywood and veneers not exceeding 4mm thick be admitted into Australia duty free
- Were members of the Employers Federation Committee
- Application was presented to have import quotas imposed and developing country preferences removed in respect of banana chairs
- Proposed to place teachers from TAFE in industry for a week to update their experience (ALL FIAA Assessors complete work placement each year as part of professional development)
- Negotiated for a voluntary agreement on a flammability standard for upholstered furniture
Through the end of the century, into the new millenium and beyond:
- Were and are still heavily involved in reforming Home Warranty Insurance
- The creation of FIAA Guild Apprenticeship scheme to provide the industry with flexible delivery of apprenticeship and traineeship training. FIAA is the industries preferred Registered Training Organisation
- FIAA were instrumental in reforming the training system to the Industry friendly competency based training of today
- FIAA once owned and ran the Australian International Furniture Fair, one of the oldest exhibitions in Australia
- FIAA provided the industry with OH&S and Workers Compensation reform with the Premium Discount Scheme
- Negotiated the industries ‘Action Agenda’ that sponsored overseas industry experts in ‘Lean’ techniques and thinking
- Has regularly tested imported flat packs to ensure compliance to Australian Standards
- FIAA is involved in the re-writing of the Kitchen Assembly/Kitchen Installation Australian Standard
- FIAA successfully lobbied for the removal of Home Warranty Insurance in NSW for Stand-alone Cabinetry.